"failed to access Internet"

Report un-reproducible/random errors for Mark II here.
Forum rules
If you CAN reproduce the error please see the rules on this thread for quicker response.

Please see the Troubleshooting guide on our wiki.
Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.

Try to include all relevant details such as:
    0. Perform normal troubleshooting steps*
    1. Steps to reproduce the issue
    2. Expected results
    3. Actual results
    4. Operating System
    5. Default Language

*Troubleshooting Steps
    Restart App
    Look for error again
    Shutdown Machine, unplug power cord, hit power button, wait 30 sec, plug power back, hit power button
    Start App again
    Look for error again
    Uninstall the software, then reinstall it
    Look for error again
    Search the forum for similar error
    Report if error is reproducible

Thank you for the feedback. Please note that we may PM you to follow-up with you regarding your issue.

**If you get an error about object not set to an instance of an object....
Go to control panel and find the speech recognition section
Open it up and press start speech recognition.
Run through all of that, then when the recognizer opens, close it.
Open up jarvis and see is this helps.
IHuman
EGG

"failed to access Internet"

Postby IHuman » February 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Hey, it's me - again...

with no further update on my case >> flyout menu disappears << I decided to give this project a break and almost three weeks passed by without touching Jarvis. Out of curiosity I opened it just today to get instantly greeted with a new low. Jarvis comes up and during its initialization is telling me "failed to access Internet"! I don't know why it is happening, especially since I didn't changed anything OS- or Comodo-wise (Internet Security). The only thing I added was Malwarebytes but it shouldn't prevent Jarvis from going Online - and I uninstalled it also a couple of days before opening Jarvis today. Jarvis own Web Server Settings are on default (Port 54657) and I gave it almost all permissions in my Internet Security Settings but no, no weather, no check for updates, no nothing because it ""failed to access Internet"! So?

I'd like to reinstall but can't because I would run into Mark III's 10min trial since January passed, the forum is dead, the Wiki doesn't help in trouble shooting, no support developer-wise, no website that was announced as "coming soon!" - nothing but frustration which is huge by now, and with nothing comparable on the market so far -aside of 'Jarvis Light' which is more troublesome than this installation...
Honestly, I expected something different and was ambigious a lot, but right now I don't know anymore what to think of it. Of course there is still hope but following the forum since my initial post I see where it leads to. See, you want to make Jarvis BIG, to reach a mass market and even I would love to see it myself, but under this circumstances it will stay where it is: A soon be forgotten niche product, because it's simply far from being not only average user-friendly.

A solution would be a) A Jarvis without trial so that I can reinstall, b) a better support (I don't know how many people actually working on it in comparison to companies e.g. Malwarebytes), c) a better structured forum made only for Mark III with all sorts of trouble shootings for non programmer/coder, etc and that goes by issues not like the featureless wiki.

So far, hope someone is hearing my call for help.

Initializing shutdown protocol...

Zunair
Site Admin

Re: "failed to access Internet"

Postby Zunair » February 10th, 2019, 9:07 pm

... sorry to disappoint..
internet issue might be coming because old yahoo weather api doesnt work anymore.

didnt had time to look into flyout menu...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IHuman
EGG

Postby IHuman » February 11th, 2019, 8:50 am

Hello,

"internet issue might be coming because old yahoo weather api doesnt work anymore." This might be the cause, acknowledged, but it shouldn't cause the software to not connect to the Internet at all. Does it need your servers too to connect to the Internet or is there something else "expired" -e.g. SQLDB or SQLlocal? Or can it be that -since January 31th. had passed- the software -even acquired during this "free to download" period- is now "blocked" somehow too?

I made a test, in which I deinstalled Jarvis, cleaned the system and reinstalled it from a) the Jarvis.exe I got and after that -under the same procedure- again from here: https://www.mega-voice-command.com/#intro

In both instances (in its each 10min trials) it won't connect to the Internet at all. After recovering my system with Jarvis installed (back up function) I still have the same issue.

Point is, I now have a sitting duck on my System and can't proceed the way I want to.

Zunair
Site Admin

Postby Zunair » February 12th, 2019, 4:43 pm

mvc site has some issues... that was the main cause of internet check errors - which is now fixed.

on top of this forum... you can find the new install link... make sure to uninstall the other instance...

thanks

IHuman
EGG

Postby IHuman » February 13th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Hello Zunair,

First of all I want to apologize for my harsh wordings out of frustration the other day(s) towards you and your team. I didn't mean it, but sometimes the emotions are taking over while you are working hard to make and keep this software running.

Secondly, thank you for updating Jarvis so fast by fixing some problems which allows me to at least reinstall it. So far it works and even if checked "hide on start" the flyout would only come up to some point when closing and restarting Jarvis BUT still NOT after a PC restart. :L So while scratching my public hair I had this "EUREKA!" moment which I'd like to share with you::

See, the original intention of creating Jarvis was to work your computer through speech input = to decrease the mouse and keyboard usage. Spoken in terms of its evolution, Jarvis then received additional features (this flyout menu) which, when "hide on start" is checked refuses to come up whereas "show/hide grammars", "show/hide debug window" ,etc. DOES! as it is working orderly when ordered by voice to do so.
So why not kill two bugs with one line of code by making all the other flyout menus (command, settings, email, etc) work in the same way - through access by speech? Why to keep an otherwise redundant function (by physically navigating inside of jarvis's frame and clicking various menu buttons manually) if I am already using my voice? Maybe the only exception I would consider is microphone setting if the mic. is having issues, but I think it can also be reached by Jarvis's icon in the icon tray -if there would be this option available.

In its consequence -with no longer having a flyout menu that is THIS stubborn in its nature and without running into any icon- or font size issues when scaling it- a slight design change can be made. Here I think about e.g. one or two outer rotators with both that can be toggled on/off separately by the later user. It also would make Jarvis to look more Jarvis-like too, am I right? Or even if there are no rotators at all, the main flyout issue would be solved by then through speech command.

To guide user to the settings window: It might open automatically after Jarvis starts up for the first time with a note saying that "settings", "command", etc. can be reached by voice (say: x, y,z) or per Tray Icon.

I not want to create more work, but I think this, let's call it: "voice menu" can be achieved easily as you already done it with "show/hide grammars, show/hide debug window" and even by sending Jarvis itself into hiding.

What do you think? Please let me know.

With kind regards,
iHuman

Zunair
Site Admin

Postby Zunair » February 19th, 2019, 8:44 am

Sorry, had no time to look into the flyout menu issue..
I thought everything was avalaible by voice commands...
See default commands.. you can say show settings window etc...

Also u can edit the flyout menu.. basically all menus are mapped to voice command... u can find the mapping xml in %appdata%/links folder

Return to “Mark III [Errors]”